• jon

Posted 1166 days ago

• It's wonderful to read about the history and current context if the Mormon Church from somebody who grew up in it. I'm not interested in religion for its ethics, philosophy, etc., but I am interested in how religious people fit into the modern world.

Coppins did a great job of being sympathetic to the Church, an important role in today's world, while also framing it's struggles as serious moral conundrums.

For example, Mormanism has always pushed for polygamous marriages. It was often condemned for doing so in a world dominated by Catholicism or other strict Christian doctrines. Yet it thinks gay marriage is a sin. This shows the absurdity of its morale compass, showing it not as a serious consideration of ethics and philosophy, but a doctrine on how to live life under a strict set of rules given by older white men. This doesn't just apply to Mormanism though.

I was skeptical of the article at first, as feel religious morales are somewhat irrelevant in the world, but i was happily surprised at how Coppins integrated modern politics and culture into the mix. Good read.