• jon

Posted 1112 days ago

• An in-depth look at the "long COVID" that we only hear about briefly in the news.

O'Rourke constantly refers to the medicalization of patients in this article. This is certainly a problem, but I think she approaches it too much as an ultimatum. Sure we need to reduce over medicalization, but I honestly am appalled when anybody critizes medicine at all. The healthcare system sure, but medicine itself is millions of times better than merely 50 years ago.

Writers who argue against this kind of come off as bizarre "eastern" medicine believers of a cult or something. I'm not saying that's what O'Rourke is at all, but some of the sentences in this article made it come to mind and I think it would push away a lot of people.

But I do think there was redemption at the end of the article when she used Putrino's metaphor of an algorithm and how although we want to see illness and symptoms as this rigid system, it's much more individualistic and needs a doctor patient relationship to understand problem that might not be immediately understandable from a textbook.