• jon

Posted 1011 days ago

• The Group of Seven (G7) must re-establish itself as a crucial international institution in the rise of nationalism, both on the Left and the Right, if it is to survive the world's shift out of the neoliberal era. Butler seems to indicate that "the new Biden adminstration's energetic support for coordination with allies and willingness to lead" might bring bring back some confidence, but we will have to see if that is the case.

Butler outlines 4 issues that the G7 leaders need to reach:

1. Democracy, human rights, free market and economic openness: Butler is clearly a neoliberal to the bones. Why "free markets" are grouped with democracy and human rights is never explained. It's just a part of his ideology. In fact "free markets" often are contrary to human rights when we look at the manufacturing of technology such as computers and mobile devices.

2. Scope: the group is way less influential as other economies in the world grow, and it needs to focus on its core tennants.

3. Coordinate shared economic values and interests

4. Work constructively with other economies and the global governance architecture: basically, how will it promote democracy while engaging with non-democratic nations for economic purposes.

I am far from an expert/knowledgable on international relations, but I find the topic interesting. I think that bundleing "free markets" with "democracy and human rights" is ridiculous, quite frankly, but this is the ideology that envolopes this magazine.