• jon

Posted 970 days ago

• There’s a lot of chatter about why restaurants can’t get workers now. If an extra $300 a week in unemployment is enough to keep us out of kitchens, it should tell you something about the conditions that millions of American workers face and the system’s failure to protect us.

This is true, ever time I'm in my home town, people are complaining about how nobody wants to go back to work because of the unemployment checks. When I ask who is doing this, it's always a vague answer: oh, you know, just lazy people.

In the off chance that they actually do know somebody, that person has a very good reason: they are approaching retirement age, have health conditions, or simply haven't been offered to go back to work. It makes you wonder, then, where this idea is fomenting.

Maybe social media, maybe right-wing news, maybe it's just something that people have always complained about: "I'm working my butt off while others are just gaming the system."

I don't know what the solution to this sentiment is. I saw a funny meme the other day that said "Remember when we thought ignorance or stupidity was the lack of information before the internet? Yeah, that wasn't it."