• jon

Posted 855 days ago

• I found this executive summary somewhat empty. It is important to backup intuitive understanding with data, and maybe the detailed/full report that's linked in the article goes more in depth (I took a glance at the graphs, but didn't read the PDF in it's entirety), but to me, there was no substantive change that I got other than just talking with my next door neighbor.

It provides some stats to contextualize first:

the working class makes up by far the largest share of the American electorate. In 2020, 63% of voters did not have college degrees, and 74% of voters came from households making less than $100,000 a year.

And then it starts to jump into identity politics, which is obviously the most important issue today. It claims that working-class people don't reject progressive ideas, but they rather reject the identity of "progressivism," which is fair, because that often belongs to the "ivory tower" of education or woke hipsters. Instead:

Primarily manual blue-collar workers, in comparison with primarily white-collar workers, were even more drawn to candidates who stressed bread-and-butter issues, and who avoided activist rhetoric.

Again, this is intuitive and what you would pick up by speaking to near anybody in your neighborhood. I guess articulating it is important, and recording specific data sets, but there was nothing new in it for me or fort most people I think.